Boots or Shoes for School This Year?
The start of a new school year often brings with it a bunch of decisions for parents including buying uniforms as well as budgeting for extracurricular activities.
One decision you will have to make that might sound trivial is actually crucial and that’s whether to choose between boots and shoes for your children. This can have important ramifications that extend far beyond how good your kid looks in their footwear. It can affect important factors such as comfort, durability and even health.
If you’re on a tight budget, the choice can be even more important. Here we look at the pros and cons of boots and shoes to help you make the right decision.
Advantages of School Shoes
- Standard school shoes are often lighter than boots, offering children greater ease of movement which is important if they are rushing around during break. This is an essential aspect to consider, especially for younger children who are naturally more active during school hours and tend to spend less time sitting at their desks.
- Modern shoes generally provide better ventilation, an advantage that can keep feet dry and comfortable, particularly during warmer months when boots can become uncomfortably warm. That ventilation can help prevent nasty odours or foot problems too.
- Shoes are generally less expensive than boots, making them a more economical choice for parents who have to manage tight budgets. Quality footwear shouldn’t be overlooked, however, and spending a little bit extra for more comfort can pay dividends.
- School shoes can be paired with a variety of uniform styles, from casual to formal, offering greater flexibility in terms of appearance. Those with Velcro or slip-on designs can be easier for children to put on and take off.
Disadvantages of School Shoes
- Traditional, more formal school shoes offer limited protection against rain and snow, so if we have a bad winter you may want to consider buying boots too.
- Shoes tend to wear out quicker with kids, particularly the soles and the toe region, necessitating more frequent replacements.
Advantages of School Boots
- Boots are often built to last and are made from sturdy materials that can withstand the rigours of children's day-to-day activities.
- They offer superior protection during colder, wetter weather and the high cut and more waterproof materials make them suitable for wintry conditions.
- The design of boots can give added ankle support, which is particularly beneficial for kids who participate in a multitude of physical activities. Again, quality is key here when choosing any type of boot for your child.
Disadvantages of School Boots
- Quality boots tend to come with a higher price tag. Since kids outgrow their footwear quickly, this can present a financial strain for some families.
- In contrast to shoes, during the hotter months, boots can be less comfortable because of poor ventilation. That can quickly lead to foot issues such as sweating and bad odour.
If you can, it’s a good idea to consider both shoes and boots for your children. A lot will depend on where you live, the type of terrain and the weather. During mild winters, a pair of robust shoes may well be enough. Having a pair of boots on standby, however, is a good option.